Monday 4 June 2012

Act 7: Jubilee Cup Cakes.




Today, I baked!

My little village in the middle of nowhere had organised a street party for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee! I originally planned to make these cakes to take down to the street party, but since I planned that, I have been told:
1) The street party has been cancelled due to bad weather and no one in the village wanting to go out, and
2) My family is going to Blackpool Pleasure Beach to celebrate the Jubilee instead. (Hurray for being season pass holders and getting invited to after-park-hours parties!)

Anyway, before I found this out, I was sat thinking "What would be a really cool item of food to take to the street party?" when I thought, "What is the most stereotypically British thing I can think of? ... TEA!" Tea is so perfectly stereotypical, I couldn't resist doing something Jubilee-y with it. So, I searched the internet and I found this wonderful recipe, originally from The Hummingbird Bakery, which incorporated tea into both the cakes and the frosting!


So, I got to work baking up the cup cakes. I adapted the recipe slightly, (I used everyday tea, not Earl Grey and I added chocolate!) I also found these adorable little Union Jack sugar-paper decorations to put on top of the cakes too. Although the cakes weren't able to be handed round the village for the Jubilee, they were delicious all the same - and my family certainly appreciated them.

Just a word of warning: I expected the mix to make 12 cakes in total, but it actually made 31. However, there aren't many left now...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...